As I posted about the other day, one of my Goals for 2011 is to buy less stuff, and make more handmade gifts. Here’s a cute d-i-y project that I made for my 3 best girl friends for holiday gifts. I initially was going to make just cork boards, but when I saw these combo boards at Joann’s for just $6, I knew I had to come up with something to fit those instead! Read on for simple directions of how to make your very own personalized combo board!
- 1 cork board, or cork/dry erase combo board
- Grosgrain ribbon, to fit the height of the board. (I used 1.5″ width ribbon.)
- 1 package of chipboard letters, I selected black sparkly ones… This could possibly be done with large stickers
- 1 roll of 2-dimensional double stick tape. I used ticky tack brand.
- Synthetic flower petals to glue over magnets
- Rhinestones for center of flowers for magnets
- Dry-erase markers
- Cute push pins
Here’s what I started out with:
Step 1. Open up the package and measure and cut your grosgrain ribbon to fit along the left side of the board. I left about half an inch of cork between the framing and the ribbon. Attach to board with a line of double stick tape all the way down.
Step 2. Lay out your alphabet letters and attach double stick tape to the back. Then lay them lightly on the ribbon until you’re satisfied with the positioning, and stick down.
Step 3. To make the magnets, simply attach 2 fabric flower petals together with double stick tape. Then use a glue dot to attach the rhinestone to the center. Lastly, use double stick tape to stick the assembled flower onto the magnet.
Step 4. For finishing touches, I added a few cute push pins to each board and a couple of dry-erase markers.
So far I would say my goal to be more crafty and make gifts instead of buying in 2011 is well under way. Do you have other ideas of what I should make next? What are some of your favorite handmade gifts?